Pages

6.10.13

SRILANKAN FISH CUTLETS

SRILANKAN FISH CUTLETS
Sri Lankan Cutlets are a traditional party fare for any dinner or cocktail party.  My kids are huge fans of these breaded and fried little balls of savory goodness. You can make a cutlet with any meat/seafood you wish, but I really prefer the tuna fish variety.  I first got a taste of this yummy snack whilst I visited Srilanka.  I then asked my Srilankan host to share the recipe with me and she gladly did.

Ingredients
3 (200gms each) cans of light tuna fish in water drained
1 medium onion finely chopped
1-2 green chillies finely chopped
2 boiled large white potatoes crushed
Small handful of curry leaves minced
Small handful of mint leaves minced
1 Tbs of ginger garlic paste (or 1/2 Tbs each separately)
1/2 medium lime juiced (about 2-3 tsp)
salt and a lot of black pepper
 
For breading and frying:
bread crumbs for breading
2 eggs beaten well
1/2 bottle of oil for frying (I used Canola)

Directions:

Boil potatoes.  Peel and smash with a fork.
Cut onions, green chilies and curry leaves.  
Heat 1Tbs of oil in a frying pan and add the onions, chilies, mint and curry leaves to fry.  
Then add the garlic and ginger paste and fry for another minute. 
Salt and pepper the onions and then add the 3 cans of tuna drained.  
Then add the lime juice. Add the boiled (mashed) potatoes and mix in well.  
Mix together well and taste for the salt and pepper in the dish now that the potatoes have been added. 
I like to give my cutlets a peppery kick so I'm heavy on the pepper.   
Take off the stove and allow to cool completely so you can handle the mixture with your hands to form the cutlets.

The breading deep frying process:
                                    
Grab a small handful and slowly form into balls the size of a walnut. The most important part here is to make sure you don't have any cracks. If you have a crack then the cutlet will burst open when frying.

 The egg wash: Beat 2 medium eggs together with a tablespoon of cool water for dipping the cutlets before breading.

Breadcrumbs: I made my own by grinding some heals of bread in the blender or you can buy prepared breadcrumbs.  I don't recommend using seasoned bread crumbs.

Once you have dipped the cutlets into the egg wash and then the bread crumbs, the breaded cutlets are all ready for frying. Get this all done before you move onto the frying.
  
Heat the oil in a deep enough pan that you immerse the entire cutlet for cooking.  Heat  oil at a medium/high heat .  Drop a few breadcrumbs in the oil to see if the oil was hot enough for frying. Once they browned, the oil was nice and hot.  The oil should not be smoking hot as that will burn your cutlets.
  

Once fried, drain cutlets on a paper towel. This makes about  28-30 cutlets total.  Serve hot or at room temperature.   Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of my recipes

a daughter, sister,wife, mother, homemaker... just love what I am doing


"No occupation in this world is more trying to the soul and body than the care of young children. God gave the work to mothers and furnished them for it and they cannot shirk it and be guiltless"































































































































































COOKING AND HOMEMAKING

COOKING AND HOMEMAKING